Many of you had concerns regarding the new design, so let's try to fix all these issues together and come with a better design for this community!
So first, let's list what we need to fix:
- The design reflects more wordpress.com than wordpress.org
- The site looks like se.drupal Q/A design
To avoid that we can:
- update the blue in the header to a dark grey (the one from wordpress.org)
- update other light blue grays to grays that match wordpress.org ones
- remove the W: We can't remove the mark, it's a convention and it's used throughout the network (mobile app, hot network questions, profile...)
- Update it to make it look a bit more like the wordpress.org one (color, shape)
Some people asked to update the typography but unfortunately we can't have a custom font on our network because it'd cause performances issues. All of our sites use default computer fonts (and if one don't, it'll be fixed ASAP).
For the active navigation item, I'm using the blue that wordpress.org uses for the "download" button in the header.
Add the Japanese mascot Wapuu
We have a convention to use this kind of artwork in some special pages (404, error, captcha), so we can use it here. I don't think we can use it on the background as Wordpress lean toward a clean look.
404 page: regular Wapuu hanging on to wordpress
Catpcha page: robot Wapuu (because captcha is here to trap robot)
Error page: Wapuu with burning wordpress ("something wrong is going on")